Nov 16, 2012

Upholstered headboard DIY

Hello,guys!!

Since opening this blog, I've had sooo many ideas, my mind keeps racing through all the photos I've seen over the internet and it's almost a challenge to sort through them and decide on a topic. I hope you liked my post on the chevron wall DIY because here comes another!! Chill,chill, I'm not talking about another chevron DIY!! It's an upholstered headboard. Here is what it looks like:




Here are some of the few that really made my mind going wild and made me want to DIY:

I would be the castle's queen in this one!! L O V E!!



This one is actually made of smaller rectangular pieces,but the colorskeme is fantastic!!



I like that pattern they've created with the tacks.







These two from above are both sporting pink and green,me likey!!



I've had fantasies about this one,actually finding a carpenter an making those little curved pieces of wood, painting them white and gold, then the tufted headboard, mmmm,heaven!!




Simple and classy, I'd see it in a man's bedroom, though...



Navy and white,  classic!!



Neutrals with a zebra print rug: sooo nice!!



This is actually a DIY headboard!



Great pink!



Glamour...


Another DIY headboard (by Remodelaholic)



State of grandeur..


Love the teal! And the velvet!!



Such an easy DIY!!


I really love this one, the color, the tacks, the lines, classic glamour!!


Now you see that I really love upholstered headboards and why. I'm sure you found one or two you'd love to sit back against,right?!
When we finally move to the house we're building (actually we have finished building it but there are sooo many things to do to be able to move!!) we decided to have the girls share a room. They are six and a half and 2 and three months old and they get along just fine. Plus I need the eldest to help me "detach" the youngest  from me...I hope it works!!  Soooo,after weighing my possibilities I decided to go with a classical but fun and colorful bedroom for the girls. We bought white furniture, deciding to throw in color with the accessories: curtains, rug, lamps and of course, toys!!
Long story short, I really wanted an upholstered headboard for the girls' room and after watching tons of tutorials on how it's done, I decided to go for it. I am a diy-type of gal, so it seemed really easy to me. It was all about cutting some wood,  putting some foam, padding and fabric!! Easy as 1-2-3!:)) Almost!!
Here are some inspirational rooms for girls:


Love the pop of red against that green wall!



Turquoise-blue and hot pink!! Great combo!!



Turquoise and white= classy!



This would be perfect for my eldest daughter!!



How fun is this one?!




For a teenage girl!


Materials and tools I used:
-a sheet of wood (OSB from Dedeman ); size 120cm/200cm, 0.8 cm thick;
-foam  (you'll need the same size as the headboard;mine was 120cm/140cm); the thicker the better;
-padding (you'll need an extra 30-40 cm  both for height and for width, I bought 2 metres as the one I found was 2,1 metres wide)
-silicone to glue the foam on the board ( I had some around the house,it worked great )
-stapling gun (tricky and sad for me: I bought a cheap one from Ambient, and it broke after half an hour...afterwards I bought another one .. identical... it broke identically... saaaad... then I decided to buy one over the internet, placed the order and they called me to say it was out of stock.. I was already dying.. Finally ordered another from another site, it got lost for about a week. It arrived, I finished the headboard and broke.. I AM DAMNED!!!! At least I got to finish the headboard!!
-fabric (again you''ll need an extra 30-40 cm on each side);
-staples for the stapler;
-jig-saw;
-drill;
-a large sheet of paper, marker, scissors, very strong thread and a very large needle (a puppet needle)
-buttons
-and the most important thing:a husband willing to help ( thanx babe!!)
First, my husband cut the OSB wood 120 cm by 145, as the girls' bed was going to be a 140 cm wide one. I traced the shape on a large piece of paper( from any book store ), actually drawing only half of the shape , for the other half you use the same drawing, only put is backwards, thus having a perfectly symmetrical shape both on the left and on the right side. So: draw half the shape you want for the headboard  (whether it's left or right,it doesn't matter) cut it with scissors, mark the headboard, flip the piece of paper, mark the other half. Hope I'm making myself clear!! At this point you should have the shape drawn on the OSB. Ask the husband to cut it, afterwards give the husband a kiss and marvel at his skills!! Do not skip this step as it it very important!!
Now it's time to drill the holes for the buttons.I wanted a tufted headboard so I had to have holes. Measure them equally and choose the pattern you want. Sorry I only have pictures with the finished product,but if you look at it you'll understand where the holes go. I marked the holes,hubby drilled the holes!! Then, following the shape of the OSB trace cut the foam the exact same size as the wood.
Glue the foam to the wood using the silicone (all purpose silicone is just fine).
On a clean surface lay face down the fabric,the padding,the foam and wood glued together. Now staple the padding on the foam and wood ,staple on the back pulling tight so that you have a clean line. Lay the fabric on the ground ,place the structure on top,both face down an staple using only 4 staples (up,down.left,right) ,so that the fabric is in place for placing the buttons. Now it's time to torture your hands in finding those litttle holes that the husband wouldn't make larger because he knows better ( kiss him again,as you'll need him for other projects ). The buttons may be covered in the fabric or left as they are if you have some interesting buttons at hand. The husband is also of use here as he pulls tighter than me,thus creating the tufted look I was going for.It's time to staple the fabric. Be careful to follow the shape of the OSB and pull hard so that you get the cleanest line possible.
And voila:





both images via House@heart

The photos are from my girls' room in the new house.We've yet to buy a lot but it will look great in the end,fit for display!!:))
Hope you like it!!
KISSES!!

P.S.:For a tutorial with more pictures and more detailed advice check out .Remodelaholic.
       All images except the last two are via Google.

Later edit: this is how the headboard looks now, a month after living in the house!!



















For more on the girls room, go here:

Do leave a comment if you like it!!
Also, share your own headboard if you did one!!







10 comments:

  1. super! sunt sigura ca vor dormi ca niste printese in patucurile lor! bravo, mami si tati! dar acest parchet wenge iti va da bataie de cap, cred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Da,toata lumea fuge de parchetul wenge!:))) Al meu nu e wenge,asa pare doar,pentru ca pozele au fost facute noaptea,fara lumina de la vreun bec,singura lumina a fost blitzul de la telefon. Parchetul e gri,cu striatii alburii,deci eu sper sa nu fie o problema. Ma bucur ca ti place tablia!! Fetele vor dormi impreuna in patul din poza,are 140cm latime,deci vor avea loc! Doar sa vrea!!:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Va iesi minunat, sunt convinsa :X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Multumesc, Oana-Alexandra!! Ma bucur ca ai gasit blogul meu!! Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My God, I could not believe my eyes: you actually manipulated him with all those kisses. I'm sure he could fly with so many kisses for his skills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ anatati: yes, I admit it: I'm a MANIPULATIVE WOMAN!!:))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please lеt me know if уou're looking for a article author for your site. You have some really great articles and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd rеаlly
    like to write ѕomе artіcles for your blog in
    еxchange for a link back to mine. Plеase
    blast me an e-mail іf іnterеsted.
    Rеgards!

    my webpage burn belly fat fast

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello thеre! ӏ could haѵe sωorn I've been to this site before but after reading through some of the post I realized it'ѕ
    neω to mе. Anywayѕ, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be boοkmarκing and cheсκing bаck fгequentlу!


    Visіt my weblog :: best way to lose belly fat fast

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very quickly this web site will be famous amid
    all blogging visitors, due to it's pleasant articles or reviews

    Also visit my website ... mattresses Pretoria

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the pink and green sporty pillow and headboard. How can I get the material?

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Have an opinion? Do share!! Thanks!!